Friday, July 6, 2007

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

I love Washington DC. It's a runners paradise. I recently relocated here from Redlands, California to live with my new wife, Janie. I must admit I miss the wonderful Pacific Crest Trail in the Mountains near Silverwood Lake. But the DC area has so much to offer. I love running on The Mall. I love running next to so many historic monuments. There are also great trails in and around the city. It has been fun for Janie and I to explore the trails each Saturday. Last weekend we were in Rock Creek Park. Beautiful and so surreal. It is full of great training trails. I've also discovered some great runs next to the Potomac River as well as the C & O Canal Tow Path. I'm anxious to get involved with the ultra running community here. I have read about the great trail runs here on the east coast for the past few years. I will research the upcoming races and pick a nice 50K to train for. My goal is to run some of the 50 Mile and 100 Mile races here within the next year or so. I still want to run some of the western ultras. But for now I have plenty of trails and roads to explore...

I would like to thank my son Scott for inspiring me to 1)keep running, 2)start a running blog, and 3)helping me set it up. Even though we are on opposite coasts we have several ultra marathons races to run together in the future. This will help us both be ready.

3 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

hey, looks good. i'm excited to see how your running transforms away from the PCT. it's going to be fun!

Jeanie said...

Hi Alan! Glad to see you're enjoying the East Coast trails...and your new wife. hee hee. Thinking of you! Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.